[sight-and-sound-sd] Re: Hearing Aids

  • From: "Abigail Capps" <akapps@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sight-and-sound-sd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:36:46 -0700

This is my second time of trying to use hearing aids. I don't think I gave
them a real try when I was younger. I do believe that these are good hearing
aids and that my DOR counselor got me good ones. My hearing loss is unusual.
It is in the low tones and not the high tones, which is making this process
challenging. I'm wearing them as much as possible, trying them in new
situations. I seriously hope the real difference is when I'm working
one-on-one with clients or in groups. As far as I can tell, they don't seem
to make much difference in my home, the grocery store, or on the bus,
although this may just be because my body and old way of hearing is
adjusting. I have another appointment for adjustment and any programming
changes. However, I can't yet imagine what changes may make a difference.  I
have a feeling that time is going to make the difference. The feeling of my
ears being plugged for one. Periodically I lose that sensation and things
feel more natural. The other difficulty I've had is with the phone. I don't
know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but the hearing aid seems to make it
harder not easier for me to talk on the phone.

I think I just have a lot of adjustment ahead. Eventually I may find that I
only need my hearing aids in certain situations. However, in order to get
used to them and for the sake of comparison, I'm wearing them almost all the
time.

This is an experience.

Best,

Abigail S. Capps

619-985-9072

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is
everything. What we think we become."

Buddha

  _____