[sib-access] Re: off topic but don't know where to ask

  • From: "Jackie Clifton" <jackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:07:59 -0000

Hi Steph,

The average pipe organ pedal range is second octave C up two and a half
octaves, the manuals second octave C up 5 octaves. You would normally write
the manuals on two staves (as for piano) and a third stave underneath for
the pedals so each system would be three staves regardless of the number of
manuals that the actual instrument has. Text is written above the stave to
indicate which manual to use. It would be a good idea to check with the
organist as there variations in the number of manuals, particularly in the
number and type of stops available for each manual.

You might like to check out these web sites
http://www.concertartist.info/organhistory
http://www.organstops.org you can listen to many of the listed stops

Wikipedia has quite a good entry about the organ.

Regarding how to arrange for the organ - as a general rule, if it is a
fairly simple piece, I would suggest that you leave to the organist to adapt
what you have written for piano. If it is a more complex work and you want
an independent part for the organ, rather than just doubling up the voice
parts, discuss your ideas with the organist. Not all local church organists
are very confident at using the pedals.

Make a list of the number of manuals and the names of the stops, check if
there is a Swell manual contain in a swell box. Another general rule would
be to leave the registration (choice of sounds used) to the organist unless
there is a particular sound that you want. In short, it is best to have a
chat to the organist that you will be working with as there are so many
variations.

There are braille signs for the organ but they are really just for pedaling
and, again, I would leave this to the organist. Registration would be marked
using text. Fingering is the same as for piano.

Very few composers write for the organ unless they play it as it is a vast
subject to cover. Please get back to me if you want any more info.
Good luck!
Jackie