[SI-LIST] Re: timing in s-parameters

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ericsilist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:22:23 -0400

Eric
This can be done.  We do it all the time.  Touchstone.S-parameters contain
magnitude and phase information (Or real/imaginary if you will). From this
the time domain transfer functions are calculated, including delay.

Best regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed® Consulting - A Division of Samtec
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
(401) 284-1827 Business
http://www.teraspeed.com

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM, eric silist <ericsilist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know in a simple way that S-parameters are a frequency domain
> representation of how much of the signal passes through or is reflected.
> Then I have the idea that I could use a tool to extract an S-parameters
> representation of a bus and simulate that in the time domain with h-spice
> or some other tool.
> I don't understand how delay information is derived from the data in a
> s-parameter model?   Or is it not and a simulation like I describe above
> will just assume that all channels have the same delay.   I thought maybe
> there would be some phase information in the s-parameter model but I didn't
> see that in the touch tone file format.
>
> I'm also curious if I wanted to combine several sparameter models, say a
> package model, channel model, connector model etc.   Are there pitfalls
> (like resonant spikes or something) to watch out for if I just hook them
> all up in series?   Should I be doing something more complicated to combine
> them?
>

> Thank you,
> -Eric

> List forum  is accessible at: