[SI-LIST] Re: spectral domain vs BEM (was non-negative......)

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:00:04 -0700

the point i was trying to say was :
i was always told that in FEM, you can't explicitly pivot the
n diagonal sparse matrix and have to use ICCG while in
BEM you can use LU since the matrix is small but dense. i
thought the underlying assumption is explicit is exact while
implicit is converge so explicit is a better choice. given we
see round off error in LU, maybe we should rethink the argument.
i particular the round off gets propagated forward with LU while
in ICCG the round off is reset in every interation.
chris