[SI-LIST] question Optical Tranceivers

  • From: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:53:20 +0200

hello SI-list,
I am forwarding a question of a colleague:

We are evaluating optical transceivers (Gbit Ethernet and Fibrechannel
devices) for IEEE-1394 communication on GOF. The IEEE-1394 protocol issues
a pulsed signal into the opto transmitter: every 40msec a small burst of
some 660usec containing 20nsec pulses is generated. In between the bursts
the signal is steady (high). The transmitter of the transceiver is always
ENABLED, tied to GND.

We find that not all optical transceivers are working with such an input
signal: some devices do not emit light at all.
We think that there is maybe a laser start-up time, i.e. the burst of
660usec is too short for some transceivers to start emitting light.
However, we cannot find any indication in the spec or datasheet.
1. We would like to understand why certain transceivers do not transmit
and others do?
2. And how to spot that from a datasheet?

Many thanks in advance,
Patrick Lambrechts

Kind regards,

Jan vercammen