[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements, now Behavioral Modeling

  • From: "C. Kumar" <kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:13:09 -0800 (PST)

I have been following these discussions with great interest. These are my few
cents.

   First some terminology. First I will like to use the term ?post layout
circuit(model)? instead of ?spice mode /spice transistor model?. The post
layout model is vastly unstructured and generally huge compared to the
schematic level models the circuit designer started his work on.  The principle
consumers of this post layout model is mainly system designers. The unwieldy
size of these circuits may in future, if not already,  limit what is included
in them. For example complex equalization structures may not be included in
these models at all for practical reasons.

   Is it possible to effect ?model reduction?? Is it possible to maintain the
accuracy  at the same time? I believe it is possible to derive an efficient and
accurate macro model IF the circuit architecture is known a priori. In the
ideal case the macro modeling effort will start early much before the ic layout
work. The new high speed devices are increasingly using variations of known
circuit architectures. This gives, in my view, a window of opportunity to
standardize on these ?structural macro models?.

   ?Standardizing? means coming up with a schematic of the macromodel along
with ?golden? waveforms and other data for a given set of macromodel
parameters. In this way various flavors of the implementations can be compared
and measured against the same standard.

   I fail to see how just providing place holder for some particular flavors of
implementation like AMS, Berkeley spice etc qualify as a standard. There will
be no basis for comparing any of these models. This is akin putting the cart
before the horse. Rather the standards body should be prioritizing and focusing
on the selection of appropriate circuit architectures and macromodels to
represent them. Macromodels are implementation independent and can be described
in plain circuit diagrams. These standards can even and should be published in
plain English in the form of data sheets.

Donald Telian <donaldt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Steve,

Thanks for puzzling over this with us. As the author of the
data/proposal you mention below, I'd like to add a couple more thoughts.
http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/jan05/telian.pdf

If you look towards the end of the presentation I point out that SI
engineers have used SPICE effectively for behavioral modeling for many
years. In 1992 Arpad designed the first IBIS implementation using SPICE
macromodeling and still today Cisco used it to demonstrate their BIRD
95/SSN implementation at the Jan05 Summit. In the years in between
Cadence used behavioral SPICE macromodeling to implement not only IBIS
3.2/4.0 structures, but also many other complex devices (see
presentation).

The proposal to the IBIS Committee was to enable common SPICE elements
as an additional way to do behavioral modeling. While there is a
serious chicken and egg problem with AMS, there is much less of a
problem with behavioral SPICE. It is more common to SI engineers, and
it is here today in many tools. The problem is that IBIS 4.1 limits
itself to "Berkeley SPICE" which hasn't been updated since 1993. Yet a
couple more elements would make even that fairly effective. If you
think an extension like this would be a good idea, you should let the
IBIS Committee know.

Some view the proposal to augment IBIS' definition of "SPICE" as
competing with AMS. I view it as a complementary step towards enabling
progress with behavioral modeling. All languages (Verilog-AMS,
VHDL-AMS, SPICE) have their merits to those who speak them, and
currently many are more fluent in SPICE. The IBIS Committee could offer
a good service by providing model templates for structures beyond native
IBIS syntax in a variety of languages. It's the device's
behavior/structure that must be understood and modeled; the question of
the best language is secondary. The basic IBIS 2.1 driver was an
important structure to model, and now there are more.

Whatever we do with behavioral modeling, it will not likely be a
complete replacement for layout-derived transistor-based SPICE models
anytime soon. They will not go away. As such, behavioral and
transistor model types must co-exist. And that seems an additional
reason to enable SPICE-based macromodeling.

Donald Telian

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org