[SI-LIST] Re: differences between de-emphasis and pre-emphasis

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 08:37:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hermann,

In the beginning of conditioning SerDes channels, all that was needed at 3
Gbps was one Tx pre-cursor, an Rx CTLE and an Rx one tap DFE. The
pre-cursor tap was a "pre-emphasis", but since the total energy output of
an Tx could not be changed, it had the result of "de-emphasis" of the main
cursor. At 28-56 Gbps the Tx now have 1 or more pre-cursor taps and 2 or
more post-cursor taps and the Rx have ~14 DFE taps. Both the Tx pre-cursor
and post-cursor taps de-emphasize the Tx main cursor tap by doing both
pre-emphasis and post emphasis.

So does pre-distortion mean distorting the main cursor due to distortion
introduced by bits already send out by the Tx or distortion of the signal
based on bits that already have been sent out, and bits that are going to
be sent out.

A nose by any other names still smells.

Walter