[SI-LIST] Re: design of on-chip PDN

  • From: Cosmin Iorga <ci249534@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Siming Pan <pansiming86@xxxxxxxxx>, Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 09:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

Siming,
For your question "How much impact for common impedance will the connection of
power net cause?" you can experiment various "what if" studies with a software
that I wrote, "ChipQuake Power Integrity Explorer", for which you can download
free version from the http://www.noisecoupling.com web site.

This software models the power distribution in a chip-package-PCB design having
two power supplies, one named analog and the other one digital (you may assign
them to match your design).  The full version lets you define the power
distribution parameters for chip, package, and PCB and then simulate the noise
generated on the digital supply and the noise coupled into the analog supply.
The free version limits the functionality but you can still experiment with the
number of decoupling capacitors on the package and PCB.

Cosmin Iorga,
NoiseCoupling.com
http://www.noisecoupling.com