[SI-LIST] an intuitive way to look at shielded cables and pcb traces

  • From: Douglas Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:32:47 -0700

 Hi All,
Next week, I am going to deliver a webinar, about an hour, that shows how
shielded cables work in a graphical, intuitive way that is quite different
than anything you have seen, and does not require much math (maybe a little
algebra from high school). This way of looking at shielded cables leads to a
better understanding of how to make a design using such cables work. Even
themost experienced SI or EMC people have not seen an analysis like this,
unless they have attended my courses at Oxford University or my Boulder City
Seminar.

One outcome of this analysis is that a solid rod of metal acts just like a
coaxial cable because of skin effect. How the center conductor is related to
the shield is inseparable from skin effect. Also, a shielded cable acts a
lotlike a common mode choke would that has two wires passing through it
(center conductor and shield in this case) with respect to shield current
andits effect on the center conductor(s).

Here is the scoop from my website:

Time: Thursday,  October 23rd @ 10:00 a.m. Pacific time: Shielded Cables
Explained (Simply!)[1]  (This is probably the best treatment of shielded
cables, in terms of being easily understood with no deep math, that is
available anywhere).

  * This Webinar presents a novel way to understand how shielded cables work
using a graphical intuitive technique, no math required. You will never
thinkof shielded cables (and unshielded cables as well as paths on PCBs) in
the same way again. This presentation is good for both beginners and
experienced engineers, and both are not likely to have seen this approach
before.
  * The unique treatment of shielded cables leads you to do to good design
immediately. A supporting example and data are presented. The operation and
relationship of unshielded cables and traces on PCBs to shielded cables are
discussed and this connection will be explored in depth, leading to new
understanding of unshielded cables and PCB traces as well.
  * This treatment of shielded cables will set aside all the myths you have
heard about shielded cables. Most engineers don't realize how simple
understanding how shielded cables work can be! This event will improve your
designs and lower system costs.
Registration form: Click here.[2] Contact me if you are interested in
attending.

Doug
-- University of Oxford Tutor Department for Continuing Education Oxford,
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 60941 ========= Boulder City, NV 89006-0941 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[3] \ _ / ] \ _ / Web:
http://www.dsmith.org[4]

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: