[SI-LIST] ad code injection?

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:00:53 -0700

 Hi All,
I just found a disturbing trend used by some Internet providers, especially
ones in places like hotels. That being injecting code in to any web page
visited. As you know, I do not accept advertising for others on my website
http://emcesd.com[1] but you may see ads I have not put there. Below is a
clip from an article on blogs.nytimes.com and a link to the full article. If
you ever see an ad on my website from someone else, can you please capture a
screen shot and send it to me? I do not use annoying techniques, like
blinking banners, on my web page, in fact it is just flat html with out even
javascript. I try to make my site as informative to engineers as possible
without flashy banners and such.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/courtyard-marriott-wifi/[2]

" On its Web site, a company called RG Nets, which makes Revenue eXtraction
Gateway, explains[3] that its system rewrites every Web page on the fly so
that it can include a banner ad. &#8220;As you can see, the pervasive nature
of the advertising banner on all Web pages guarantees banner advertising
impression,&#8221; a narrator says in the video."

I am late this month on my Technical Tidbit because of my move from Silicon
Valley to Boulder City, NV, where I am at the moment.

Doug

-- ------------------------------------------------------- ___ _ Doug Smith
\/ ) P.O. Box 60941 ========= Boulder City, NV 89006-0941 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[4] \ _ / ] \ _ / Website:
http://www.dsmith.org[5]

--- Links ---
   1 http://emcesd.com