[SI-LIST] active probe issues

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:29:38 -0700

Hi All,

If you use active probes to measure today's high speed signals, there
are significant design assumptions from one probe to another and
different probes can give significantly different results on the same
signal. Understanding the differences is essential to avoid time
wasting lab mistakes.

My Technical Tidbit on this subject is posted at http://emcesd.com
with the link being the diagram at the bottom of the home page.

Abstract: As circuits have become faster, active scope probes have
become more sophisticated in order to measure today's very high speed
signals. At the same time, probe loading of measured signals has
become more of an issue. The question of whether to display the signal
at the probe tip or to estimate what the signal was without the probe
is an important one that designers must take into account.
Implications of this choice are discussed.

I have also included an in-depth audio-visual tutorial dealing with
this topic on my subscription site, linked in the article (broadband
connection and subscription needed).

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: