[SI-LIST] Use of non specific connectors for ethernet 10/100 communication

  • From: jfhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:45:53 +0200

Hi,

I am currently working on a project involving a 10/100 BASE TX link. It is
intended to route this bus through non specific connectors ie connectors for
which differential impedance and return loss are not guaranteed. Is it valid to
consider impedance as not being a problem as the impedance discontinuity length
due to the connector is not more than 2 cm long which is small compared to the
significant wavelength of the 100 BASE TX signal ? Regarding crosstalk we can
separate the RX and TX signals significantly so we don't believe it would be an
issue knowing we would only have this full duplex ethernet bus inthe connector.
We don't have to show compliance to the 802.3 standard but we need to have an
operating link over up to 15 meters. We would be using shielded cables of a
quadrax type. What issues could we meet in terms of EMI or SI if the previous
statements are valid ?

JF Hasson

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net