[SI-LIST] Re: Terminating Resistors at PCB Edges

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Mohamad Haghtalab' <mohaghtalab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:02:32 -0500

Hello Mohamad,

To specifically answer your question: you have to calculate the
equivalent impedance of the plane shapes
and place termination resistors evenly spread around the periphery such
that their cumulative resistance
matches the plane impedance.  The equivalent impedance of the planes
(for a rectangular plane shape)
can be found for instance in Section 3, Mid-frequency-to-plane
interface, on page 7 of  the manuscript
of "Distributed Matched Bypassing for Board-Level Power Distribution
Networks".  You can get the file
at http://www.electrical-integrity.com/ >> Paper download.

As Brad pointed out, you dont want to connect the resistors across the
planes, they would draw too
much current.  You need a series capacitor to each resistor.  If the
layout is done properly to minimize
inductance, this is an effective way of suppressing the first few modal
resonances on medium and large
size planes.

Regards,

Istvan Novak