[SI-LIST] Tech Tidbit - close range EMI

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:44:04 -0700

Hi All,

It is the beginning of the month again and I have been busy writing.
This month's Technical Tidbit discusses EMI induced into a simulated
mobile phone antenna. Significant voltages can be induced into the
antenna in response to small metal ESD events such as jingling change
when the antenna is immersed with the ESD events, such as in a pocket
or purse.

Abstract: ESD events between small pieces of metal, such as coins, at
low voltages produce intense EMI with bandwidths into the tens of
gigahertz. The problem is much worse when an electronic device, such
as a mobile phone, is immersed in the coins as often happens.  Data is
presented to show possible voltages induced into a mobile phone
antenna by nearby small metal ESD events. RF front end damage to the
receiver is a distinct possibility. (even though there is no direct
contact with the ESD events)

I have started a companion, subscription based, website to emcesd.com
at http://emcesd-p.com .  Comments welcome.

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: