[SI-LIST] Re: TEM wave propagation and standing waves

  • From: Davi Correia <davi.correia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ankit.wangoo@xxxxxxxxx" <ankit.wangoo@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 12:29:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello Ankit,
When you terminate your TL by a short (in EM theory they call it "perfectly
electric conductor"- PEC), your tangential electric field has to be zero. The
only way for that to happen is if your incident wave has a value of, say, +a,
your reflected wave has to have -a (the tangential component). That way, at
your short (PEC) you have a minimum (zero). That is not true for the magnetic
component. As a matter of fact, the short is where you magnetic field
(tangential) is maximum. Hence, they have to be completely out of phase. The
same argument is true if you terminate your TL with a (perfect) open, but this
time you flip who is zero and who is max.
If you want, you can also see this from a circuit point of view: if you
terminate with a short, you can not have any voltage, right? That is electric
field. But the current will be very large (maximum, in fact). That is magnetic
field. And if it is open, there is no current (zero magnetic field) but large
voltage (electric field).

If you want more info, any undergrad level EM book should have this (Ramo,
Shadiku, Pozar, etc.).

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Davi