[SI-LIST] Re: Skin effect and Inductance

  • From: Kevin Rhoads <kevin.g.rhoads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dudi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:23:53 -0400

On 10/9/2012 9:03 AM, Dudi Tash wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm looking for some elaborate material regarding the reason for the skin
> effect.
>
> I know all about the losses and the actual outcome, but I'd like to explore
> more about the physical reasons for the creation of the skin effect. My main
> interest is in skin effect in PCB traces.
>
> In one of the courses of one of the Guru's I was told that the skin effect
> appears due to the fact that the Inductance in the middle of the transmission
> lines are greater than the inductance on its periphery, and the AC signals
> look for lower loop inductances.
>

> 1.       Can you approve this?
>

> 2.       Are there any other links, material that you can send?
>

> 3.       Explanations are most welcomed as well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Best Regards,
> Dgtronix Ltd. I Founder & CEO I Dudi Tash
> eFax: +972-3-7256490 I Mobile: +972-54-6345629 I Office: +972-9-9660967
> www.dgtronix-tech.com<http://www.dgtronix-tech.com/>

There is lumped parameter circuit theory, distributed parameter circuit
theory (including transmission lines) and field theory (which can then
be subdivided further, e.g., 2D vs. 3D, linear, nonlinear, quasistatic
vs full dynamic &c)

Skin effect, for understanding *cause* really needs field theory, even
though the impact can be modelled in circuit theories.

The field theory group within MIT's EE department (where I did my grad
school work) has made several textbooks available via MIT's
OpenCourseWare initiative:

This is my favorite, but do not start here -- this is mostly quasistatics:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/85074552/Continuum-electromechanics-alternate-page-size-cem-100
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84859094/Continuum-Electromechanics-cem-811

This starts with motors/generators and moves into distributed systems:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84760635/emd-part1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84760924/emd-part2
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84760264/emd-part3

Solutions manuals for the above three:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87397695/emdsoln-01
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87397680/emdsoln-02
http://www.scribd.com/doc/100752962/emdsoln-03

THese are the ones to start with for "skin effect":
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84765268/Emf-Theory-d-1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84765360/Emf-Theory-d-2
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84765475/Emf-Theory-d-3

In addition, various textbooks from the vacuum tube days have been
scanned, Pete Millett posts textbooks that appear to be out of copyright
in the USofA -- copyright status in other parts of the world may be
different.
Anything by (Frederick Emmons) Terman will be useful for digging into
skin effect:
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

Two books that *are* public domain everywhere (RCA kept them
"confidential" and did nto copyright them -- when RCA got out of the
tube business, they lost interest in the confidentiality of these:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/88735844/RCA-1962-Electron-Tube-Design
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8090945/RCA-1940-Vacuum-Tube-Design

Not very much relevant to skin effect, but lots of tech stuff, some of
which is still useful.

This is probably way more than you wanted, so I will stop.  But, please,
feel free to ask further questions.

Sincerely
Kevni

List forum  is accessible at: