[SI-LIST] Re: Simulating s-parameter model in HSPICE - DC Data

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:42:15 -0600

Hi Jennifer,

You are right about low frequency range. From my experience, it is much
better to not have the data at low frequency (DC) at all than have it
'guessed' or generated in some tricky ways.

We always perform fitting (approximation by partial fraction expansion)
and algorithm cares by itself on how it extrapolates outside data range.
Manual intervention and tweaking the data is most dangerous thing. There
are more intelligent ways of forcing the dependence behave in a certain
ways outside the range.

On a more general note, I'm seeing frequently repeating pattern in many
SI-LIST conversions on S-parameters: first, someone complains about
problems in doing data conversion or simulation work without actually
providing the data. Then folks answer the mail proposing some solutions.
But, without seeing the data such advises are often of a little value;
often the author gets a lots of different, sometimes conflicting
proposals. I support the idea of Colin, earlier in the thread, that it
would be very useful to have a shared depository for questionable data
files, mostly Touchstones (maybe, on SI-LIST locations) so that we could
provide more useful feedback at least on those that could be shared
(possibly with any modifications/simplifications, to only retain the
original problem).

Vladimir

Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Simulating s-parameter model in HSPICE - DC Data
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:12:34 +0200

Hi Vladimir,

EM tools usually do not simulate at low freqs. Low freqs data are
usually generated by extrapolation. By having finer steps at low
frequencies, does really bring any help? Because the DC data is still
wrong.

Many thanks.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net