[SI-LIST] Re: Silver ink usage in High Speed Flex Designs

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rama Mohan Reddy Boreddy <mohan.svuce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:49:53 -0500

Rama

Julian Ferry and the guys at Samtec Harrisburg did some analysis and
measurement work with Silver Inks on flex a few years back.  You might
ask them about it.

Scott

Rama Mohan Reddy Boreddy wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>   In one of our earlier projects, we have used High Speed Flex PCBs. The
> stackup of the 3 layer Flex is like this
>
>                            Solder Mask
>                            Silver Ink
>                            FR4
>                            Layer 1   ( HDMI, SATA and USB)
>                            FR4
>                            GND
>                            FR4
>                            Layer2   (HDMI, SATA )
>                            FR4
>                            Silver Ink
>                            Solder mask
>
> I haven't included adhesive for the clarity. Please share your thoughts
>
> a) Does the Silver ink really required? Silver ink used to provide shielding
> for top and bottom signal layer. But when i checked the
>     appliation notes, Silver Ink doesn't provide proper shielding at speed
> more than 1 GHz.
>
> Rama

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: