[SI-LIST] Re: SPICE model extensions

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:07:28 -0400

> I have many files that are called Spice model files,*.sp
> (HSPICE),*.cir,*.spc,*.inc .....
>
> What's the differece between them?,for example between spice macro model
> and other type of spice models?

In SPICE, the file extension or type is relatively unimportant.  People use
what they feel comfortable with, and are often free to change the file
extension, though some programs might insist on certain file extensions.

*.sp, *.spi, *.cir usually refer to SPICE input files (*.spc might be
another one of them), and there may be no difference between them.  A full
SPICE input file would contain, in human-readable format, a full description
of the circuit to be simulated, including any necessary model definitions,
plus SPICE directives to tell it how and what to simulate.

*.inc is a portion of a SPICE input file, perhaps containing subcircuits or
models, meant to be included (or called by) another SPICE input file.

*.lib is a library or collection of models or subcircuits, but different
simulators may use them in specific ways.  A *.lib file might be just like
a *.inc file, or it might have a certain structure, depending on the
particular SPICE simulator using it.  (Consult your simulator's manual.)

*.spo, *.lis, *.out usually refer to SPICE output files that are readable
text.

*.raw may be an output file that contains raw or binary data.  It might be a
binary file, or perhaps ASCII but with the data packed in a format not meant
to be human-readable.  Usually meant to be read by some sort of
post-processing or plotting program.

Various simulators also have several other file types for specific purposes,
so check your simulator's manual for those.

A SPICE macro model usually means a subcircuit (.subckt), which might be
placed into a separate file so that it can be used by several simulations.
A macro model is usually not the same as a .MODEL statement which has a
different function.

Some of the file types you have may be unique to the particular set of tools
you are using, including interface files to get to SPICE from another
program, or vice-versa.

Regards,
Andy

List technical documents are available at: