[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]About Impedance

  • From: "Jim Antonellis" <janton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hehao@xxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:24:48 -0400

He,

If reflections at the far end are problematic then something
must be done to mitigate them. A far end termination impedance
that matches the etch impedance is a possible solution. In this
case the goal is to get a reflection coeffecient near 0 by solving:

p =3D (Zt - Zo) / (Zt + Zo)

where Zt =3D far end load, termination impedance, and Zo =3D TLine imp.

One can also mitigate far end reflections by launching a half-amplitude
wave by inserting a series resistor at the near end, and then employing
a +1 reflection coeffecient at the far end to reach full amplitude.

The near-end series resistor is sized such that:

Rseries + Rds =3D Zo

where Rseries is what we are solving for, i.e. the near end series R.
where Rds is the on resistance of the output FET.
where Zo is the etch, TLine impedance.

I have left out a great bit of detail and assumptions, and if you want
to continue this thread you can email me directly so as to reduce the
BW on the list in general.

Also, most of the si books and many on-line app notes cover this in
great detail....=20

Jim

-
Jim Antonellis      jim.antonellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sandburst Corp   www.sandburst.com
Office: 978.689.1669=20
Cell: 978.618.4745

This message and any attachments are Confidential and may be Legally
Privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not=20
the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system=20
and notify us immediately. Any dis-closure, copying, distribution or=20
action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in=20
reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.
=20
=20