[SI-LIST] Re: Rx Eye Mask width, BER, and Jitter

  • From: Conrad Herse <herse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:39:08 -0500

Marty,

Thanks for the comments. My comments below:

Marty Bewildered wrote:
> My first comment is Rj is not a function of BER, Tj is ... or more directly
> Jrms ... is a function of BER

Isn't Jrms basically 1 sigma (std dev), and Q is some number of sigmas
to get to a target BER (or am I missing something)? Rj is derived from
Jrms and the target BER Q, which then is included in Tj.

> Second comment ... if your margin at 1e-12 is 0.2UI, you're in big trouble at
> 1e-15.

The 0.2 UI was a fabricated number for this example, it could be
anything. However, more importantly the 0.2 UI is a *receiver eye width*
derived from an Rx jitter *tolerance*, not a margin. I would expect the
required Rx eye mask width to *increase* and my receiver jitter
tolerance to *decrease* for a higher BER. Jitter will increase at a
higher BER, but won't the receiver require a wider eye mask at a higher
BER too?

Thanks,

Conrad

> Basically your Tj is getting bigger than 1UI ... so all the numbers don't
> make sense anymore.

Conrad Herse

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net