[SI-LIST] Re: Routing differential lines as single ended traces ?

  • From: Danny Damhave <dd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:24:56 +0200

Hi,
Routing a LVDS differential pair with a tightly coupling, is sensitive to
production tolerances/variation eg. etching factor/coating.
Having a weak coupling or using the not closer than rule (single ended traces)
is less sensitive.
If your traces are wide and your timing is very critical is probably best to
route with a very weak or weak coupling and match the trace to trace spacing
with the pitch of the glass fibres in your laminate to reduce the skew between
the signals, but of course this can also be achieved by staying away from 90deg
routing and using the not closer rule.
I assume that your signals always have a reference plane, are not close to any
edge of the PCB,  do not leave the board , and are not close to noise sources
like  DC DC switchers and your signals are not influenced by PCB resonances or
the like.
BR
Danny Damhave

On 26/09/2011, at 03.57, Low Jerry wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently came across a validation platform where the LVDS differential
> lines are routed as single ended traces traces instead of tightly coupled
> differential pairs. The motivation I found was so that they could use each
> of the pairs as single ended traces when needed as well. When I probed
> deeper it seems like the person who proposed this scheme has left. So I
> would like to seek help here on some clarification
>
>   - Will a scheme like this impact the performance of the differential pair
>   ? Since I understand that differential routing is more immune to noise.
>   - What are the considerations/feasiblity studies that need to be done
>   before implementing a scheme like this ?
>   - Since this is a validation platform what measures can be taken ensure
>   that the performance seen are similar to a production platform if the
>   production platform is routed in differential.
>
> Thanks in advance for the feedbacks. Have a great day.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

List technical documents are available at: