[SI-LIST] Re: Relationship between loss tangent and dielectric constant's frequency dependence

  • From: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:20:07 -0700

Dear Neo,

Hendrik Bode, in his seminal text, "Netowrk Analysis and Feedback Amplifier
Design", D. Van Nostrand Co., 1945, goes into a long discussion of the
relations between the real and imaginary parts of any causal linear network
function (complex electric permittivity is an example of such a function).
He devotes a whole chapter to the general relations, and then another
chapter on the "Graphical Computation of Relations Between Real and
Imaginary Components of Network Functions" -- in other words, he teaches you
how to just LOOK at a curve of lass tangent and predict the shape of the
dielectric loss curve.  I included some parts of that discussion in my book,
"High-Speed Signal Propagation: Advanced Black Magic", pp. 105-115.  The
most important, and practically useful, part of the discussion I think
appears on page 108, equation 2.88, where I point out that for a low-loss
material, a constant loss tangent equal to "tan theta" (that's the form of
worst-case specification for most dielectric materials) implies an
exponential decay in the dielectric constant, with a *very tiny* exponential
decay constant equal to omega (frequency) raised to the power of
(-2)(theta/pi).

Example: Let the loss tangent be one percent:  "tan theta" = 0.01
For small angles, working in units of radians, theta approximately equals
"tan theta", so we have theta = 0.01
Assume you have Er = 4.00 at 1 GHz.
Suppose that you want to know Er at 5 GHz.
If the loss tangent is flat over a broad range extending well to either side
of both 1 GHz and 5 GHz, then the dielectric constant at 5 GHz must be
de-rated according to the rule:
  Er[5 GHz] = Er[1 GHz] * (5GHz/1GHz)^^(-2)(theta/pi)      [EQ 2.88]
    (where the symbol "^^" means, "raised to the power of"

Evaluating the term (5GHz/1GHz)^^(-2)(theta/pi)
   = (5)^^(-2)(0.01/3.1415926)
   = (5)^^(-0.0063662)
   = 0.9898

Multiplying that term times Er[1 GHz] gives:
  Er[1 GHz] * 0.9898 = (4.00)*0.9898 = 3.959

Why this works is explained in Bode's book (if you read the whole thing) in
a fairly simple way.  That was his genius.

Bode points out, and this may be familiar to you if you are a student of
electrical engineering, that flat, fixed phases are associated with each of
the following network functions:
 |H1(f)| = f    --  phase equals +90 degrees (a differentiator)
 |H2(f)| = 1    --  phase equals 0 degrees (flat function - a constant)
 |H3(f)| = 1/f  -- phase equals -90 degree (an integrator)

In each case, the slope of the function (power of f) is proportional to the
phase:
 |H1(f)| = f^^1    --  phase equals +90 degrees (a differentiator)
 |H2(f)| = f^^0    --  phase equals 0 degrees (flat function - a constant)
 |H3(f)| = f^^-1   -- phase equals -90 degree (an integrator)

----------------------------
If you are familiar with the skin effect, you know that it works like this:
 |Hskin(f)| = f^^(-1/2)   -- phase equals -45 degree (an integrator)

Note that the skin-effect relation seems to fit "in between" H2 and H3 in my
table.
----------------------------

Bode goes on to show how you can generalize his relation for any rational
power of frequency, so that:

 |f^^a|  must have a phase in degrees of (90 degrees times a)

In your case, the "loss tan" for a low-loss material represents an angle
given in units of radians. If we modify Bode's rule for radians we get this:

 |f^^a|  must have a phase in radians of (pi/2 times a)

If you supply the angle theta = (pi/2 times a), then the constant "a" must
equal (2/pi)*theta, which is where I got the rule for [EQ 2.88].

Rule [EQ 2.88] works we as an approximation for any low-loss material that
has a fairly flat loss tangent.  From a simple specifiation of dielectric
constant and loss tangent at one frequency, you may use this "constant loss
tangent assumption" to evaluate the dielectric constant at every frequency,
in a way that is guaranteed to produce a causal network function.

I hope this brief note helps. Let me know if I've just made the subject
more, rather than less, confusing.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howie03@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sigcon.com -- High-Speed Digital Design seminars, publications and films

(I'll be teaching in Portland May 3-6th)