[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity AC Analysis

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: balaseven@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 07:58:45 -0400

Hi Bala,

As usual, it depends.  In this case it depends on what tasks the PDN has
to fulfill in
your system, and what are your system requirements.  The different roles
of PDN
come with different conclusions in terms of what frequency range you
need. In
short, plane resonances matter for high-speed signaling for vias needing
to go
through those power/ground plane cavities and also for EMC radiation
reasons,
which will further depend on how the system is used.  Just for PDN
purposes,
the answer depends on whether you have single point of load PDN for
cores or IO PDN.

You can read about some of these aspects in
- IEEE Microwave Magazine, August 2011, Focused Issue Feature: A New
Dawn in R&D
- Ansoft: EMI Control and PCB Power Analysis workshop, 22 August 2007,
Boston, MA, Reducing EMI Noise by Suppressing Power-Distribution Resonances

You will find these posted at www.electrical-integrity.com

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 5/26/2012 12:56 AM, bala wrote:
> Experts,
> I have a question on Frequency Vs Impedance waveform in AC analysis and
> need your help.On what basis we decide the frequency limit.Say
> for example, if my VRM delivers 2.5V  IO to Ethernet Chip,is it enough if
> my 'power plane impedance' under the limit(target impedance) upto 'Chips'
> operating Frequency?Am i right? if not,Whats the role of
> plane resonant frequency here?

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: