[SI-LIST] Re: PPM

  • From: "Steve Rogers" <SRogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ingo.kupper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:33:42 -0000

Ingo,

1. I think you will find that 50ppm means +/- 50ppm.
2. You may find that the 50ppm includes everthing! So you are clear on =
this I will explain. There are basically three reasons why your xtal =
frequency is not exactly where it should be:

(a)Tolerance [manufacturing differences if you like]
(b)Tempco [how the frequency varies over temperature]
(c)Ageing [longe term changes in frequency]

You may find that the 50ppm you need includes all of the above (or maybe =
not)? If it does then you need to know all of the above. These are =
always given on a basic xtal specification. Bog standard HC49 xtals will =
do tolerance of typically +/- 30ppm with temp stability of +/-50 ppm, =
ageing will be +/- 3ppm in year one and dropping off approx 50% of this =
each year after. These basic xtals are probably not good enough for your =
job. However, you can get tighter tolerance and tempco down to +/- 5ppm =
which is much more than you need! Finally, rememgber that you need to =
know what your operating temperature range is in order to fully spec =
your xtal.

Have a look at CMAC, GOLLEDGE, EUROQUARTZ sites to find out more

STEVE  =20

Steve Rogers B.Eng (Hons) C.Eng IEE
RF Design Engineer

Micromill Electronics Limited
Leydene House
Waterberry Drive=20
Waterlooville Hampshire
PO7 7XX

Tel: +44 (0) 23 9236 6600
Fax: +44 (0) 23 9236 6673

Registered No. 1456922 (England). =20
Registered Office Brook Road
Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2BJ

"This email and any attached files are confidential  and may be legally =
privileged.If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, =
reproduction,copying, distribution,, or other dissemination or use of =
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this =
transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then =
delete this email.

It is the policy of Micromill Electronics Limited that no legally =
binding statements, representations or commitments (collectively =
'statements') may be made by email. Any such statements must be =
confirmed either by facsimilie or by post before they will have legal =
effect. The sender of this email is not authorised to commit the company =
in any way and the addressee is hereby formally notified of that fact."