[SI-LIST] Re: PLL Board Filter

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 06:29:34 -0700

Tying the capacitors together couples noise that rides on the the common
inductance through the capacitors.  It's a good way to kill the filter
performance.  Ideally you want as low a mounted inductance as possible,
particularly on the load side of the filter.  You also should take care
that the filter doesn't burn you with an excited, poorly damped resonance.

Steve.

Steve.
On 4/24/2012 6:04 AM, Faraydon Pakbaz wrote:

> Dear Signal Integrity Experts:
>
> In a scenario for Board (PCB)  PLL filter generally there is a capacito=
> before Ferrite Bead and capacitor after
> Ferrite Bead. Is it better to short the ground of capacitors at the boa=
> rd
> and then via it to return path/plane or is it
> better to via each capacitor ground individually to return path/plane? =
> It
> seems providing  separate via for each
> ground of capacitor exposes the filter to two different source of noise=
>
> from return path/plane. Any comments and
> guidance appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Regards;
>
> Don Pakbaz
>

> |------------>
> | From:      |
> |------------>
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
>    |Istvan Novak<istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>                              =
>                                                                         =
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
> |------------>
> | To:        |
> |------------>
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
>    |markfilipov81@xxxxxxxxx                                             =
>                                                                         =
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
> |------------>
> | Cc:        |
> |------------>
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
>    |si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                               =
>                                                                         =
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
> |------------>
> | Date:      |
> |------------>
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------|
>    |04/23/2012 10:19 PM                                                 =
>                                                                         =
>    >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
> [...]

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: