[SI-LIST] Re: PCB trace width calculation for pulsed current

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "abin.cv" <abin.cv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:15:13 -0700

That cross section just meets the IPC estimate.  Your options are:

1. Live with what you have.
2. Increase the cross section.
3. Add a heat sinking device or structure to lower thermal resistance to
ambient.
4. Add a bus jumper

Your primary concern should be that current distribution near the end
points is unlikely to be uniform, creating hot-spots.

Steve

abin.cv wrote:
> Hi,
> I am designing PCB for a power supply rated 33V,18A 20% duty cycle.
>
> Due to less space availablity ,i could only provide a max of 200 mill trace
> width of 1.5 oz copper
> which would carry a constant peak current of  9.87A at 10deg raise.
>
> Please give any suggestion for improvement.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Abin
>

> **************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************This email may contain
> confidential and privileged material for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention,
> distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
> the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please
> contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
> Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering,
> unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the
> basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception,
> tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.
> *********** End of Disclaimer ***********DataPatterns ITS Group**********

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: