[SI-LIST] Re: OT: Recommendation of magnifier for rework (0402)

  • From: Ivor Bowden <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:04:53 -0700

We use a regular stereo microsope, mounted on a table that provides
x,y,z positioning, with a Panavise circuit board holder under it. Two
stage magnification, not sure exact values, maybe 20X/40X? Got the setup
from Edmund Scientific some years back, similar to this product:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1957

It is sufficient for rework on 0402 components as well as .5mm pitch
TQFP, etc. Your tech needs to have a very fine soldering tip and steady
hands!

Ivor Bowden
Senior Hardware Engineer
Curtiss-Wright Controls Embedded Computing
Video and Graphics
(formerly Peritek)
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA  94619
(510) 531-6500
ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.peritek.com/

On 9/10/2004 2:28 AM, Jacob Verschoor wrote:

> Dear all,
> Has someone experience with a magnifier or microscope for rework on 0402
> capacitors?
> Which recomendations do you have? Which magnification are recommended (10x
> 20x?)
> How about a Mantis magnification system
> (http://www.jensentools.com/product/group.asp?parent_id=191932)?
>
> Best regards,