[SI-LIST] Need feedback on s-parameter tutorial for IEEE EMC Global EMC and SI University

  • From: <colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:36:47 -0600

Hi si-listers,

Eric Bogatin kindly invited me to teach a module on s-parameters at Global EMC
and SI University, which is run by IEEE EMC-S in conjunction with its
conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, August 5-10. The target audience is
engineers who have been in the profession approximately 5 years plus veterans
wanting to improve their understanding.

I'm posting a draft for the first part here:

http://signal-integrity.tm.agilent.com/2012/power-of-s-parameters-for-high-speed-digital-design/

...to ask for feedback from both experts and beginners here.

One minor mystery I was unable to solve was "Who invented s-parameters?" The
tutorials in the 1950s coyly refer to a 1920 paper ("Maximum output networks
for telephone substation and repeats circuits", Campbell and Foster, Trans.
AIEE vol 39 pp. 231-280) but it's a very obscure paper. It seems to assume some
context that is now lost (at least to me). The authors do use an indexed
variable S but they refer to the elements as "driving point impedances" (Sij
for i=j) and "driving-driven point impedance" (Sij for i!=j), and their
elements have units of ohms, more like Z-parameters than the unitless
s-parameters we use today. Any insights welcome.

Best regards,

-- Colin Warwick
Product manager for High Speed Digital, Agilent EEsof EDA
...feeds blog @ http://Signal-Integrity.TM.Agilent.com/feed/
...tweets @signalintegrity

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: