[SI-LIST] Re: Mystery TDR Waveform

  • From: "Dima Smolyansky" <Dima.Smolyansky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"SI-List Reflector" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:11:31 -0800

Paul,

A shunt capacitance does not necessarily starts with a steep down slope and
gentle upward slope, so I would not be surprised if it was a shunt
capacitance. However, other things are possible, of course.  The inflection
points you are referring to may be a result of a small stub in a socket (if
a socket is present in your test fixture) - for example the stub due to the
socket pin going into the board. If you provided more details about your
test fixture, or some information about the size of your dip in the TDR
waveform, I could possibly offer more intelligent guesses :-).

Thanks,

Dima Smolyansky
TDA Systems, Inc.
4000 Kruse Way Place
Bldg. 2, Suite 300
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
(503) 246-2272
(503) 246-2282 (fax)

TDA's MeasureXtractor is the EDN Product of the Year Finalist!
http://www.tdasystems.com/products/measurextractor.shtml