[SI-LIST] Mutual resistance and attenuation

  • From: "Sobrany RF Mr (PG/R - Electronic Eng)" <R.Sobrany@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:19:00 +0100

Is it really true that increasing the mutual resistance (R21) of two coupled
lossy transmission lines reduces the attenuation constant when the transmission
lines are driven in the odd mode? My calculations show that if the mutual
resistance is positive then increasing it actually reduces the attenuation
constant for the odd mode yet increases it for the even mode.
The formula for transmission line loss in the paper titled Mutual Resistance in
Spicelink by Eric Bracken of Ansoft is
P=(R11|I1|^2)/2+(R22|I2|^2)/2+R12Re(I1I2*) which appears to imply that if R12
and I1 is positive and I2 is negative then the power losses are reduced if R12
increases. A mention is made that the mutual resistance can be a negative
quantity but doesn't describe any of the situations where mutual resistance is
negative. In what situations is mutual resistance negative?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: