[SI-LIST] Re: Monday afternoon chuckle - Technobabble gone Mad

  • From: Don Nelson <dhwn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:27:49 +0000 (GMT)

Loved it, then serendipitously came across "The Original":
http://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

It includes an explanation of the origin of the "Turbo Encabulator" script:

This is the first time Turbo Encabulator was recorded with picture. I shot this
in the late 70's at Regan Studios in Detroit on 16mm film. The narrator and
writer is Bud Haggert. He was the top voice-over talent on technical films. He
wrote the script because he rarely understood the technical copy he was asked
to read and felt he shouldn't be alone. We had just finished a production for
GMC Trucks and Bud asked since this was the perfect setting could we film his
Turbo Encabulator script. He was using an audio prompter referred to as "the
ear". He was actually the pioneer of the ear. He was to deliver a live speech
without a prompter. After struggling in his hotel room trying to commit to
memory he went to plan B. He recorded it to a large Wollensak reel to reel
recorder and placed it in the bottom of the podium. With a wired earplug he
used it for the speech and the "ear" was invented. Today every on-camera
spokesperson uses a variation of Bud's innovation. Dave Rondot (me) was the
director and John Choate was the DP on this production. The first laugh at the
end is mine. My hat's off to Bud a true talent.

Don Nelson
Alcatel-Lucent

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 05:06 PM, Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I want one of these!