[SI-LIST] Modifying an ESD simulator to run off of AA batteries

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:49:00 -0700

 Hi All,
It's that time of month again and I have posted another of my Technical
Tidbits. Here is the latest:

Technical Tidbit - September 2010
In ESD Testing, Necessity is the Mother of Invention
(powering an ESD simulator from AA batteries)

This month's Technical Tidbit outlines a handy modification to an ESD
Simulator to power it from AA batteries.
Abstract: Sometimes a quick solution is needed to an engineering test
problem. Details are shown of a quick modification to a KeyTek Mini-Zap ESD
Simulator to power it from four AA batteries.
The URL is: http://emcesd.com/tt2010/tt090210.htm[1]

Doug

Separately, all the details of my upcoming presentation at NASA Ames
ResearchPark on the 16th of this month are finalized. It is open to the
public. It is not a free advertising presention but a low cost useful
technical presentation. Details:

Finding Design Defects Using Time and Frequency Domain Techniques
One half day practical class at NASA Ames Research Park by Douglas C. Smith
Thursday, September 16th at 1:00 p.m.

Have you ever had a hidden design issue on an IC device, PCB, or at the
system level, cause problems during compliance testing or after equipment
wasput into service? Do you worry about hidden design flaws affecting the
mission outcome or causing expensive field problems in commercial equipment?
Do you need a quick quality check of a cable harness that has restricted
access or can&#8217;t be visually inspected and that does not disturb the
cable or its connectors? These topics and more are covered in this practical
&#8220;hands-on&#8221; &frac12;day class at NASA Ames Research Park. URL for
a pdf file with more information:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/NASAsem_091610.pdf[2]

Learn &#8220;out-of-this-world&#8221; techniques to find hidden and
intermittent design flaws before they cause problems.

Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[3] \ _ / ] \ _ / Website:
http://www.dsmith.org[4]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net