[SI-LIST] Re: Measurement of mutual inductance in on-chip interconnects

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:12:30 -0600

Sunil,

I'll let smarter people address the ways of directly measuring
on-chip parasitics, but I'll offer the concept of indirect
measurement.

In our studies of on-chip coupling (whether from inductive
or capacitive effects), the two issues we've been most concerned
with are: 1) effect coupling has on changing the propagation
delay through the interconnect; and 2) potential for sufficient
coupling to produce false logic decisions due to overwhelming
levels of crosstalk.

To study these effects, we use simple active test circuits that
had four aggressors and one victim.  There are two aggressors
on either side of the victim.  The victims and aggressors are
comprised of drivers (e.g., 2X INV gates) and receivers (again,
2X INV gates).  We then have a series of structures where
we vary the line-to-line pitch between the traces and vary
the length of the coupling sections.  By doing so, we measure
the effect the coupling has on the delay or false logic
glitches.

We then run a series of simulations where we try to estimate
the amount of coupling to produce the results we measure.  In doing
so, we indirectly measure the mutual parasitics.

We've been reasonably successful with model-to-measure correlation,
but I admit it would be nice to directly measure the parasitics.
However, we've run into difficulty in measuring the parasitics,
because they are generally extremely low in value with relatively
high series resistance (both which make accurate measurements
difficult).

Hope this helps,
Pat

> Hello All,
>
> I'm studying modeling of mutual inductance of coupled line in
> on-chip interconnects.
> To verify my model I'd like to measure that.
> Would anybody explain the test structure including
> de-embedding and measurement procedure ?
> Is it possible to extract the mutual parasitics (RLC) of
> coupled line from two-port VNA measurement ?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Sunil

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org