[SI-LIST] Re: Looking for Signal Integrity Trainer Kits

  • From: "Abe (Abbas) Riazi" <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:10:23 -0800

> The module includes device characterization techniques, basic benchtop
measurement,=20
> signal integrity etc. using equipment such as high speed scopes,
pattern generators,
> VNA, Spectrum Analyzers etc. =20

Dear All,

First, I would like to wish you a joyful Holiday season!

TDR needs to be included in the above equipment list
because of its broad signal integrity applications.

Time Domain Reflectrometry (TDR) can generate a wealth
of information regarding high-speed PCB traces and other
interconnects (i.e., vias, connectors, IC packages, sockets,
cables) valuable for signal integrity analysis and accurate
predication of digital system performance.

The inner topology of an IC package can be accurately modeled
by utilizing TDR in conjunction with a post-processing tool
such as Tektronix (formerly TDA systems) IConnect software.

An interesting and instructive study involves applying TDR to
evaluate the electrical impact of reference plane gaps on the high-speed
signals which cross the plane splits.

Simple test boards (coupons) can be designed and fabricated for
characterizing differential and single-ended trace impedance,
plane split effects, via parastics, etc.

Best Regards,

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks

 =20