[SI-LIST] Re: Is a copper plane not tied to any net a referenceplane?

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:08:54 -0700

Jeff,
No, but if you transition through a plane that has no stitching or
bypass with a via, you will surely see the resonance on the plane, some
of which may be detected on the signal.  A plane can have a resonant
mode that is uninteresting until excited.  When excited, it may radiate
like the dickens.

scott

Loyer, Jeff wrote:

>So, you would predict that:=20
>If I ran a trace on a 12" board and performed VNA on that trace, I
>should expect to see a "resonance" at 250MHz.  If I took that same trace
>and ran it on a 24" board, I would see a resonance at 125MHz, and so on.
>(note that this time I have F indirectly propotional with board size -
>an oversight in my last posting).
>
>If this is the prediction, I am respectfully skeptical.
>
>And by the way, I didn't mean to imply that my experience in any other
>field besides power delivery was UN-limited!  That's only true for the
>field of inducing errors in measurements and simulations.
>
>Jeff Loyer

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
2926 SE Yamhill St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 239-5536
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org