[SI-LIST] Re: IPC-2152 trace current/temperature calculator

  • From: dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Jack Stone" <mediwheel_js@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:38:19 -0700

 I don't know if you have read the standard. There are a couple of= pages
that address thermal modeling, planes, alternative dielectrics, etc,= in a
very general manner. There are no quantitative adjustments included (= with
the possible exception of how to treat parallel conductors which is pr= etty
straightforward, and pretty obvious.) There is a Figure A-13 that rela= tes
to some estimated factor adjustments that can be used based on the dist=
ancebetween the conductor and a plane for 1 Oz traces in .070 thick Polyim=
ide Board (and a single curve for 2 Oz traces).  The calculator does n= ot
incorporate these adjustments in its calculations. But these adjustments=
caneasily be made to the calculated results if desired. Overall, the gene=
ralities included in the Standard apply equally well to the calculated resu=
lts from the calculator.
The Calculator is based o= n Conductor Sizing Charts contained in the
Appendix (from Figure A-17, p 35= to Figure A-86, p83).

Doug