[SI-LIST] Re: How to connect Chassis ground to DGND

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Padilla" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:39:34 -0800

Chris,

The last two sentences weren't truncated.  The reason to avoid tying logic
ground to the Faraday cage in more than one place is to avoid providing a
secondary path for current that should flow in the ground planes of the
system, namely the skin of the Faraday cage.  A common symptom that this
has happened is that EMI seems to leak out of the box at the cracks.

I am aware that many companies, including Cisco, tie logic ground to card
guides and face plates.  They often have a difficult time making the box
pass EMI as a result.

You don't need to tie logic ground to the case many places to control ESD.
ESD is a relatively low frequency event that can be controlled with a band
of copper around the edge of the outer layers of a PCB that is tied back to
the backplane only.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Symptoms
> >of this happening are the complaint that EMI is "leaking" at the cracks.
> >common error is to tie the backplane logic ground to the Faraday cage
> >around its periphery (Good Idea) to form one side of the Faraday cage.
> >Then, the faceplates of the PCBs or their edges are also tied to the
> >Faraday cage.  (Not a good idea)
>
> Lee,
>
> I'm curious about the the last two sentences above...I hope my truncation
> of the message doesn't hurt the intended context....
>
> You say a "common error" is to tie the BP periphery to the cage to form
one
> side of the Faraday cage but then say it is a good idea.  I'm confused
here.

> The last sentence states that it is a bad idea to tie the PCB board edges
> and faceplate (presumably on a carrier tray) to the chassis or Faraday
> cage.  Why is that?  We often do this to protect against ESD but I must
> confess that I haven't tested any of my boards in a situation where the
PCB
> edges or carrier tray (faceplate) haven't been attached to the Faraday
cage.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris Padilla
> EMC Engineer