[SI-LIST] Re: How many simulated bits are confident using HSPICE generating eyediagram.

  • From: "Cheng, Chris" <chris.cheng@xxxxxx>
  • To: Tesla <emcesd@xxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 04:31:41 +0000

If you accept that both ISI and crosstalk is a bounded phenomenon, you have to
question the need to simulate in a statistical way like PBRSn approach. A small
set of patterns near the boundary should give you results as good as simulating
millions of cycles in PBRS. Even if you don't buy the LTI assumption, you can
get higher order pattern that approaches LTI.
As for crosstalk, if they are small enough to assume LTI, the same peak
distortion approach will get you the boundary just as ISI except you may have
to sweep between the ISI and the xtalk pattern across the UI if they are
asynchronous.
As for the true Rj (which I believe is always small but mixed into other
bounded uncorrelated noise like xtalk. If you don't believe me, show me a
system that really takes an error every 10exx cycle) I will not do it in HSPICE
but color the PDF with the channel or whatever PLL jitter transfer function and
generate the statistical eye post worst case eye closure.

Chris Cheng
Distinguished Technologist , Electrical
Hewlett-Packard Company

+1 510 413 5977 / Tel