[SI-LIST] Re: Frequency Domain Analysis

  • From: Ray Anderson <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:46:18 -0700

A couple comments on both Ron's reponse to the original question and
Darshan's reply:

Darshan-

    Agilent ADS is a very appropriate tool for certain SI problems. It
is not only used for satcom applications as you have suggested.
Depending on the options one selects it can be used for applications
ranging from DSP, to simple time and frequency domain simulations to
microwave problems (and everything in between).

Ron-

I believe the Eagle analysis tool was the result of some original work
by Randall Rhea. He came out with an early version written in Basic way
back in the early 80's which has evolved to the powerful Genesis toolset
it is today. I don't believe it traces it's lineage directly to the
early EESOF Touchstone products or Compact  (not Compaq) from  Les
Besser which were  a couple of the first general purpose industrial
strength RF/Microwave analysis tools available.  I wonder if you
remember using ECAP on the early university timeshare systems ? That
predated Touchstone and Compact but was more of a spice predecessor than
a microwave simulator.  Please correct me if you have evidence to the
contrary regarding Eagle.

Regards,

      -Ray Anderson

Darshan Mehta wrote:

>Hi Ron,
>

>I checked the ADS software features but it seems that ADS is used for
>Satellite communication related products. My board works at frequency around
>150 MHz or so. I am using DSP SHARC processor and for performance, many times
>we modify our design to High speed DSP processor. I am using HyperLynx and it
>gives good result if I know the frequency of Board but what if I don't know
>the Frequency. Whenever I change the Processor, I have to do simulation again
>and it takes nearly 7 days. Analog Devices comes up with many good Processor
>and every time it's wastage of Time to do simulation again and again. You guys
>face such problems and if yes, what is the solution. Thanks.
>

>Have a nice Day.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Darshan Mehta
>

>Ron Miller <ronusoalii@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: HP ADS is the tool to use.
>
>There are some other ones from eagle and such which origionally came from one
>of the
>three origional frequency domain simulation companies in the 60's Compaq, HP
>and EESof.
>
>HP bought EESof, so they have the most to offer having combined the tools into
>ADS which
>has the best features of all the others.
>
>Ron Miller.

.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: