[SI-LIST] Re: FW: how to connect logic analyzer probes to PCI bus (66 MHz)

  • From: "Zelno, John" <john.zelno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jeremy.Webb@xxxxxxxxx'" <Jeremy.Webb@xxxxxxxxx>,"'Signal Integrity list (E-mail)'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:26:30 -0700

You may also want to look at PCI bus analyzers/exercisers, such as those
from catalyst enterprises (www.catalyst-ent.com).  These can be a great help
in debugging PCI specific problems, without having to set up complex logic
analyzer triggers.  They can also be an agent on the bus that can exercise
the bus with traffic and/or error conditions.  If you're tight on real
estate, you can consider one of the smaller form factors, such as PMC.

If you're intent on using a logic analyzer, I would recommend the 100 pin
adapter over the Mictors.  Agilent has some notes on this in the document
linked by Jeremy below starting at page 23.  In fact, this document states
"Agilent recommends
the E5394A or E5385A [the E5385A is the 100 pin adapter] for new
applications, due to the reduced input capacitive loading and improved
isolation between adjacent channels" on page 24.

-John Zelno