[SI-LIST] Eye diagram and port definition in IBIS

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:07:34 -0700

Gary,

Regarding your question at the end, I looked over the IBIS spec, and =
found that there is no definition in the spec for what a port is.  From =
the writing it appears that the author(s) had electrical connectivity in =
mind (voltages and currents), because "digital port"
and "analog port" is all over the spec.  However, in a broader sense, we =
could think about digital and analog as discrete or continuous, and as =
such they could refer to anything, such as fluidic, thermal, mechanical, =
etc..., not just electrical.

So the IBIS spec needs a clarification to define this better.  As it =
stands, someone could write an [External Circuit] with mechanical ports =
to model the mechanical interactions between speakers and the =
electronics, or model heat sinks through thermal ports... etc.

So according to the letter of the law it is not prohibited, but I don't =
think it was intended either.  It better be defined, otherwise we may be =
in for a surprise down the line...

Arpad