[SI-LIST] Dark Emitting Diodes

  • From: Bill Grenoble <billg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 22:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

Dark Emitting Diodes

I think it was Litton who invented the DED, in late March of '72? There
was a writeup in Electronic Design. They modified the LED process to
produce DEDs, but found that there were some chips that emitted red
light instead of dark. They finally ran their normal LED processes and
tested for DEDs - that way their yield was 100%.

The GE Turbo Encifilator appeared in their hard cover major equipment
catalog in the late 50's, perhaps very early 60's. It was a very normal
data sheet with a picture of one of GE's big steam turbines and a
discussion of the wonderful things it did. The rep deneied all
knowledge and said the people at GE weren't talking about it. Someone
pulled a Prank, and Management was pissed!

It was 12-15 years later that Signetics announced the Write Only Memory
using an SOS (Copyright US Army Quartermaster, 1943) process. I remember
a graph showing the number of pins remaining vs the number of
extractions. Also a chart of AQL for fast pay customers and slow pay
customers. I may still have the WOM data sheet, and perhaps one of the
writeups on the DED. There are about a dozen boxes, which may have the
folder with the 1 Apr edition Fantastic Stories!
   Best Regards
  Bill Grenoble
  Accokeek, Maryland
  16 NM due South of the White House