[SI-LIST] Board design adjustments by manufacturers

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 13:48:49 -0700

Hello Everyone,

After going through a multiple analysis to measurement validation projects, I
realized that almost all boards are not manufactured as designed (what a
surprise :-)). As a consequence the analysis to measurement validation may
require investigation of the manufactured board geometry, that includes cutting
the board and taking measurements on the cross-sections (usually important only
above 10 GHz). Now I am trying to figure out what board design adjustments are
needed and where to get those numbers without cross-sectioning for the accurate
post-layout electromagnetic analysis.
In particular, is there any way to get the following numbers without cutting
the board?
- change thickness of layers (account for plating and variations in thickness
of laminates);
- change trace width and shape (account for etching and plating);
- change spacing between traces in diff pairs (if adjusted for the "impedance
control");
How board manufacturers actually adjust trace widths or spacing for a given
design in the "impedance controlled" process if they have just Gerber or ODB++
data? Is there any software that does it?

A relevant question - are there board manufacturers out there who provide
probability distribution data for stackup layer thicknesses, strip widths,
back-drilling depth etc.?

Can anybody point me to a source of information on this subject.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368; Virtual +1-408-627-7706
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor – Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal Integrity
Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: