[SI-LIST] Re: Answer for how to couple noise to the PDN of oscillator

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Zhangkun <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:05:55 -0400

Zhangkun,

Good summary, I would offer just one more comment regarding your #5 below:
If your PDN requirement is 0.1 ohms with a BW of 25MHz, you can create
a flat resistive impedance, so that you dont necessarily need to worry
about
antiresonance between the PDN capacitance and feed inductance.

You can take POSCAP
or tantalum capacitors at low frequencies so that their cumulative ESR
is 0.1
ohms, and complement it with appropriate ceramic caps to give 0.1 ohms at
high frequencies as well. You can take small-size 1-ohm resistors and MLCCs
in series in sufficient numbers to give you 0.1 ohms and the <1nH inductance
you need for 25MHz BW.  Or, you could use a dozen of the TDK controlled
ESR MLCCs: CERB3UX5R0G105MT
on http://www.component.tdk.com/cap_technotes.php#

Regards,

Istvan

Zhangkun wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> Based on the talk about how to couple noise to the PDN of oscillator. I have
> gotten several solutions:
>
>     1. Do not consider the dis-match
>         1) Connect the signal to the PDN directly
>         2) Measure the coupled noise on the PDN
>         3) Calculate the ratio between the noise and the jitter
>
>     2. By means of 1:N transformer to lessen the dis-match.
>
>     3. By means of other IC, creat a noise source with low impedance.
>
>     4. By means of opamp, which is of low impedance.
>
>     5. Because the low impedance of oscillator PDN is capacitive, there
> would be a parallel resonance with a inductor(serial with a resistor).
>
> Hope this would be helpful.
>

> Original question:
>
> Now we are studying the effect of power noise on jitter. We meet a problem,
> how to couple noise to the PDN. For example, we want to couple noise of
> 25MHz into the PDN of oscillator. However there is impedance dismatch. The
> impedance of signal source is about 50ohm and that of PDN is about 0.1ohm.
> The energy would be reflected.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Zhangkun
> 2008.5.16