[SI-LIST] AW: TDR impedance measurement and rise time

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nagy István <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:29:06 +0200

Hi Istvan,

I also don't know a way of changing the risetime at the TDR, but you can do a
postprocessing to reduce the bandwidth (i.e. the risetime).
We do the measurements with maximum resolution, and measure the risetime at the
desired reference plane to be sure about the risetime at the DUT. If a lower
bandwidth is needed, we use a filter or window function in ADS or H-Spice.

In General, one should look at the risetime of the silicon he is using, because
the clockrate doesn't tell you much about the bandwidth in yous system. Since
the Die size is constantly shrinking, the signal risetime keeps on decreasing.
There are two ways to handle risetime related SI-problems on low speed signals:
Filter your signals right at the transmitter, or design your transmission path
according to the risetime of the transmitting silicon.

BR
Gert Havermann
HARTING

Please visit us at the Hannover Messe from April 20 to 24, 2009.
You can find us in hall 11, stand C13.
 http://www.hannovermesse.de/

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Torsten Ratzmann