[SI-LIST] AW: Pulse current handling capability of PCB

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Deepak V.L" <deepak.vl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:18:47 +0200

Dear Deepak,

I forgot to ask for the length of the trace, but anyhow here is some math based
on the assumption of a single surge event approximated as an effective square
pulse with temperature independent resistance of the trace (due to the short
time period). Without coheating of other traces, only the temperature rise of
your trace caused by the current is of interest.

The energy of a surge calculates approximately: E=PI*R*I²*t/2 where t is the
duration, I is the peak current and R is the DC resistance of the trace at room
temperature.  Peak power=E/t and average power=peak power*duty cycle (which is
very small in your case, since the current doesn't flow periodically).

The average power your trace has to withstand is then approx:
P=t*PI*R*I²/(2*prt) where prt is "pulse repitition time" (>10s might be
reasonable in your case) and t is pulse width (20ms).

calculate R using the tracewidth, -thickness and -length at the maximum power
level thats allowed (if you have no special requirements, 100W/sqare inch power
density is ok for most double layer FR4 designs to prevent overheating or
delamination.

I hope this helps

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Torsten Ratzmann