[SI-LIST] Re: A short story

  • From: Martyn Gaudion <martyn.gaudion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Suresh.Subramaniam@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:59:11 +0100

Hello Suresh,
Apologies for the commercial response..

The exact tool you need is a Polar Toneohm 950
power - ground short circuit locator.

www.polarinstruments.com/products/toneohm/toneohm950.html

Heres an app note that explains more:

www.polarinstruments.com/support/pcb_troubleshooting/AP201.html

www.polarinstruments.com/support/pcb_troubleshooting/Toneohms%20find%20ground%20plane%20shorts.PPT

Kind regards
Martyn Gaudion
www.polarinstruments.com

At 08:05 09/04/2005, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am faced with the following situation: A fairly complex bare board
>shows no shorts between any of the power rails (1.2,2.5,3,3,5 and 12V)
>and GND. However, before power up, on a fully populated board, I am
>measuring about 10 Ohms on the 1.2V, 6 Ohms on 3.3V and 0.5 Ohms on 2.5V
>(measured with a standard Fluke multimeter) and the others are showing
>readings in the 1-2K Ohm range!  Since we had several boards on hand, I
>decided to power up one of the boards anyway. There was no smoke or
>hotspots on the board (the 1.2V and 2.5V switching regulators are rated
>for 14A).. And more importantly, majority of the interfaces tested are
>operating as advertised.  I remeasured the board after power off . Now
>the readings are ~100 Ohms on 2.5V and about the same as before on the
>other rails.
>
>(Note: The pattern is the same on all boards.)
>
>I  have also checked to make sure there are no symbol/footprint errors.
>Before I start to depopulate individual ICs to trace this short  on an
>unpowered board, I thought I would check in to find out if others have
>had this experience.
>
>Also, is there a better/correct method to measure pwr/gnd shorts ?
>
>Thanks
>Suresh
>
>--
>
>--
>  / 7\'7 Suresh Subramaniam        suresh.subramaniam@xxxxxxxxxx
>  \ \    Xilinx                Telephone: 408-559-7778
>  / /    2100 Logic Drive      Direct:    408-879-6172
>  \_\/.\ San Jose, CA   95124  FAX:       408-377-9013

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
>List technical documents are available at: