[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: who's to blame, etc.

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:39:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2005 7:26:19 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There  have been many dogs who have received great éclat and awards that do
not  fit the requests of the Standard. They have sired progeny who emulate
their sires and dams. The only way that schism continues is when Judges  make
them appealing by awarding them points, Selects, and  more.

Judges are the guardians of any breed.

Paul

Judges are ONE of the guardians of the breed.  The real guardians,  IMHO, are
the breeders. To place the final responsibility (and blame) on judges  for
the condition and progress (or lack of) of our breed is not fair or  wise.

Judges have to deal with what comes to the ring.  They have no control  on
what is shown under them, or shouldn't.

But breeders, now, that's the real issue.  They have to breed dogs  that can
be judged to the standard. They have to breed to dogs that are correct,  even
if they are not Champions, even if they don't have the titles that makes  the
puppies marketable.

Breeders have to have the integrity that allows them to do this because
people looking for show dogs will seek them.  Breeders need to be
knowledgeable,
ethical and responsible. We do have some of those people.   Just pay
attention, and educate yourself.

Now, that is just my opinion, I am sure if I am wrong someone will tell  me.
It won't change my mind, but someone will feel better.    LOL

Ileana