[ SHOWGSD-L ] was definitions

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:30:53 EST

In a message dated 11/26/2005 8:57:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I can't  tell you the number of emails i got that jumped to conclusions and
got so  upset since they felt their indoor dog was being called a couch
potato................my gosh we all or most all have indoor
dogs...............

I replied to a post that said kenneled or not  kenneled.............and i
said the question should be more on the lines of  couch potato or physically
fit
?.................so before everyone defends  their house dogs saying they
aren't couch potatoes DON't JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS  and make something out of
nothing!!!!!!!!!

Must have been something in  the stuffing.........

Geeze Amy, no big deal.  There seems to be a general distinction,  "indoor",
i.e "house dog" or "kennel dog".

Now that you bring it up, though, I can't stand kenneling dogs.  I  think the
breed we have does so much better underfoot, part of everyday  life.  They're
social things for goodness sakes:) I guess everybody has  their own
definitions, but to me, a dog who spends most of its like in a run or  paddock,
by
itself or maybe with one other dog, not with its owners and not part  of its
pack
is a "kennel dog".

The trick (for me anyway) is to keep the numbers down so I can maintain the
dogs in a way that I feel is best for them, which, as I mentioned doesn't
include kenneling (although I do have a lovely set up for the occasional
visiting gal, a gal in season or a dog who comes here and knows nothing BUT
being
housed that way, which BTW GREATLY saddens me).

I don't want mine sitting in a kennel.  If that means fewer litters  and/or
growing out fewer puppies, (which is exactly what it means around here)  then
so be it.  Spare me the 100s of e-mail folks telling me how socially  well
developed and happy your kenneled dogs are.  I've lived with both and  in my
experience there's just no comparison.

BTW, you can have indoor dogs who are soft and kenneled dogs who are  soft,
(some don't fence run and bounce around in a kennel), so IMO anyway,  equating
conditioning w/ housing isn't a valid assumption.

Now, as for "something in the stuffing", no, lol, but I definitely detected
a bit of "something" in the cranberry relish;)

Make it a good one:)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_